cafela: (Default)
Here is the wreath that I made to replace the umbrella one I made for the summer:

It was surprisingly easy to make, but slightly time-consuming. I bought a Styrofoam wreath, some grey yarn, turquoise yarn, and 1 sheet of purple felt. First I cut the felt into equal-sized squares. I made them somewhat small since I only had the one sheet; if I make this again, I might buy a second sheet and make the squares bigger. Then it took about 2 hours to wrap the grey yarn around the Styrofoam wreath, being careful to wrap it tightly and so that none of the white showed through. I arranged and pinned the felt squares to the wreath after that, and then I wound the blue yarn over them, again being sure the yarn was wound very tightly. I removed the pins, looped the ribbon to hang the wreath under some of the grey yarn at the back of the wreath, and it was finished!

If you want a simpler look, you could always forgo the second color of yarn and simply hot glue the felt pieces to the wreath. You could also add some flowers or your street number to jazz it up some more. I prefer this way because it will be easier to re-use the wreath.
cafela: (Default)
I finally replaced the wreath I made last fall with something more appropriate for this time of year--a wreath made of little drink umbrellas!

This was a super easy project. All you need to do it yourself is a foam wreath, a large pack of drink umbrellas, and some ribbon to tie the wreath up. Tie the ribbon on first so you can see how it's going to hang, and then open the umbrellas up (not totally flat, though) and stick them into the wreath. It helps to space them out as you go, and then fill in the empty spaces. Once you're done, tie the other end of the ribbon onto the door, and voila!

cafela: (Default)

I got the idea for the above wreath completely on a whim while in Michael's a few weeks ago. The individual pieces were already made, and I just attached them to the wreath where I wanted them. I should've used a glue gun, but I didn't want to have to figure out where exactly it was, so instead I used green craft wire. Everything is holding on well, but it was way too much of a hassle to deal with. Next time I'll just use hot glue. *nod*

April 2014

21 222324252627


RSS Atom

Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated October 17th, 2017 11:19
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios